Former US President Donald Trump was not satisfied even after the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) formally apologized. He has threatened to file a defamation lawsuit against the media outlet next week, demanding between $1 billion and $5 billion in damages for allegedly making "mistakes" in editing a documentary video.
Trump announced the decision while speaking to reporters on Air Force One on Friday night local time. "We're going to sue them for between $1 billion and $5 billion, probably next week. I think I have to do it. They've even admitted they cheated," he said.
Trump's lawyers wrote to the BBC on Monday, accusing it of "defamatory editing" of a video of his speech before the US Capitol riot on January 6, 2021.
The BBC's 'Panorama' documentary, which aired in October last year, spliced together three different parts of Trump's January 6, 2001 speech. ট্রাম্পের Trump's lawyers are claiming that the edit created the impression that he was inciting riots on Capitol Hill, calling it "completely false and defamatory."
The BBC, however, insists that there is no legal basis for the claims made by Trump and his lawyers.
Earlier on Thursday, the BBC officially apologized, admitting that there had been an "editing error" in the documentary. বিবিসির চেয়ার BBC chair Samir Shah personally apologized to the White House and admitted to British lawmakers that the edit was an "error of judgment." British Culture Minister Lisa Nandy also called the apology "appropriate and necessary."
However, Donald Trump dismissed it as "inadequate". In an interview with GB News, he called the editing "unbelievable" and compared it to election interference. "I gave a beautiful speech, and they made it into a beautiful speech that wasn't there," Trump said. "Fake news was a great word, but it's not strong enough. It's not fake news — it's corrupt."
He said he would also discuss this issue with UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer.
BBC News has been in a major crisis as a result of the criticism it has received over the editing of Trump's speech. Last Sunday, the organization's director general, Tim Davey, and head of news, Deborah Turness, resigned.
সম্পাদক ও প্রকাশক: Sk. Md. Anowar Hossain Nobin
যোগাযোগ: +880244809006
ই-মেইল: [email protected]
ঠিকানা: 220/1 (5th Floor), Begum Rokeya Sarani, Taltola, Agargaon, West Kafrul, Dhaka-1207
© 2025 National Tribune All Rights Reserved. Design & Developed By Root Soft Bangladesh
